Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some may have heard, but Dr. John Reiss was accidentally shot and killed in his home. Dave also posted about Dr. Reiss today.

I had Dr. Reiss for American Literature I my senior year at SMC. I loved that class. It wasn't only the material that we covered, but it was Dr. Reiss's dry wit that I appreciated.

I'll never forget the day that Dr. Reiss called me after one class. He recognized my enthusiasm for literature and said that he had recommended me for an Honors Irish Literature class. He said he knew I wasn't in the Honors Program at the time, but I was talented enough and had displayed such a love of literature that he thought I would enjoy it.

That Irish Lit. class was the best class I had at Saint Michael's. I loved every single class. It's one that I honestly looked forward to going to every single day.

I never thanked Dr. Reiss for that. I should have, but he retired that semester, and I would occasionally see him in the hallway from a distance, but for some reason, I just never took the time to say, "thank you."

Dr. Reiss, thank you.

0 comments: